If you have astigmatism, you can still wear contact lenses but some brands will work better than others. In short, you’ll need to try different brands of toric contact lenses to see which works best for you or else consult your eye doctor for their advice and they should know which brand is best for your type of astigmatism. There simply isn’t one brand that works the best for everyone as this isn’t a “one size fits all” situation. It’s your health and it’ll be different for you compared to someone else.
What is Astigmatism?
Astigmatism is a refractive error of the eye, which is characterized by abnormally curved or irregularly shaped cornea. The most common types of astigmatism are differentiated on the basis of the curvature of the cornea and the refractive errors of the eye.
Astigmatism can be easily corrected with contact lenses. However, astigmatism may still be a problem when one wears conventional glasses and needs to get rid of his/her glasses in order to use contact lenses.
Here are the various types of astigmatism to help you in identifying it:
- You can have blurred vision if you have astigmatism in your cornea. Therefore, you can ask for the optometrist to take a slit lamp or a laser to have a visual check of your cornea so that you can identify the astigmatism on your cornea.
- In order to know if you have astigmatism, you will have to do a “slit lamp test”. This can be done by having a sliver of your cornea magnified with a flashlight.
- If you do not have normal astigmatism, then you have a mild form of astigmatism. In this case, you need to wear contact lenses that are manufactured specifically for astigmatism. You need to ask the optometrist about this.
- If you have severe astigmatism, then you need to get a pair of contacts. Contact lenses for astigmatism is usually a high-powered lens to correct for astigmatism and also to correct for nearsightedness or farsightedness. If you do not have farsightedness or nearsightedness, then you will need a higher-powered lens for astigmatism.
- If you have an abnormal astigmatism, then you can try for a corneal transplant. This surgery is mostly performed to correct for glaucoma. However, the corneal transplant procedure does not always work and is only performed if the results are positive.
- If you have astigmatism and you wear contact lenses, then you will need to ask your optometrist for a refractive correction. However, the best way to get a refractive correction is to undergo the surgery.
- If you already wear contact lenses and you feel uncomfortable, then you should get rid of them immediately. If you choose to wear lenses, then you need to go to an optometrist to make sure that you are not suffering from astigmatism. When you visit an optometrist, tell him or her about your concerns regarding astigmatism and that you wear contact lenses.
- If you know your eye condition and you have suffered from astigmatism, then you should immediately contact your optometrist. Do not wait for the signs to show up as you might experience discomfort in wearing contact lenses.
- Even if you have refractive problems, contact lenses will not be a cure-all. You will need to keep your eyes healthy and clean. This can be done by keeping the eye area clean and using non-drying products.
Eye problems like astigmatism are not severe visual problems. Therefore, you should not try to avoid wearing contact lenses and wearing conventional glasses since toric contact lenses will work for you. What you need to do is to find a good eye doctor and ask him or her about your concerns regarding astigmatism.
All About Toric Contact Lenses
Toric contact lenses are great to wear because they give an eye-catching look to the eyes and can be worn either as normal lenses or as special contact lenses. The special ones have an ultra-flat lens that directs light outward and they are popularly known as soft toric contact lenses. However, if you do not have much experience with wearing toric lenses, it would be best to get your eyes examined by a professional to make sure that you will be able to wear them comfortably.
These lenses come in two styles – two lenses in one frame or fixed lenses. In case of two lenses in one frame, they are called trans, as in the square format. The lenses in this case are folded up and can be put into a frame to give a designer look to the eyes.
For fixed ones, the lenses can be combined in a single frame. This type of lenses are used by people who have blurred vision due to previous eye injuries. By putting a lens in the right place, it helps a person to see clearly again.
However, it is necessary to know that in case of two lenses in one frame, the eye will be strained. And so it is important that the owner puts in an eye examination to check the condition of the cornea. Once the condition is checked, the user will be able to determine which of the two frames he or she should wear.
The fixed ones are one of the most recommended types of contacts. They are very comfortable to wear, are easy to clean, and are cheap. But because of their flat lens surface, it can be quite difficult to see objects at a distance.
When you move your eyes suffer from strain. But if the eyes are properly aligned, they can do the job without suffering any discomfort. This is due to the fact that the lens shape that directs light is slightly curved and so the images reflected by it are slightly wider than when they are reflected from flat surfaces.
Special toric contact lenses are designed to enhance the peripheral vision. The materials used for manufacturing the lens are similar to the ones used for making the regular ones. Therefore, it has the same effect.
They are soft toric contact lenses. They usually have a thin coating of the lens material. The thickness of the coating depends on the purpose for which the lens is designed. Sometimes, the coating is applied only in some special cases.
Coatings are applied in three different ways. The first one is the use of contacts made of titanium. Such contacts are generally soft and can be used for children only. If your child is over ten years old, he or she may be allowed to wear them.
The second one is the use of contacts made of plastic. They are available in all sizes and types. Such contacts are suitable for adults as well as children.
The third method of coating is the use of contacts which absorb the light entering the lens and direct it inward. When the light enters the lens, it can cause the lens to darken. When this happens, light can still enter but will not be bright enough to see objects clearly. By doing this, the user will be able to see the objects at a distance, and thus, can be happy to wear toric contact lenses.
Toric contact lenses are also available in several types. You can search online to find the perfect one for your individual requirements.